Monday, May 26, 2008




Another walk....another discovery! I have said that finding wildflowers and plants is like a treasure hunt, and identifying them is like a puzzle, but books and the Internet are helpful. Nature can blend and camouflage, as well as surprise! Today, I had a taste of both. I found a vine growing at the labyrinth that had muted purple-brown flowers. I have identified it as Carolina Milkvine (Matelea carolinensis) I plan to build a trellis and help secure it.


My second discovery was by accident. While walking near the Gathering Room, I bent down to pick up what I thought was a deflated balloon, but it's texture and smell soon let me know that it was some type of growing thing! It was somewhat grotesque looking. Bright orange, tubular, and VERY stinky. Mother Nature having a little fun! There were no leaves, so I was not sure if it were a flower or fungus. Quite a surprise. After searching my wildflower books, I concluded that it must be in the mushroom/fungus family. I found a site from UGA on Georgia mushrooms, and found it to be one of the most informative sites I've seen. I have put the link with the information and picture the Dog Stinkhorn (Mutinus caninus) . I have also posted my pictures of both of the discoveries today. Two new finds for The Cabin Path.

No comments: